at the Citizen Power Alliance 2010 Wind Conference
New renewable electricity standard bill introduced in U.S. Senate
|U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) and Tom Udall (D-NM) on Sept. 21 introduced bipartisan legislation to create the first-ever national renewable electricity standard (RES).|
Under the proposal, electric utilities would be required to produce at least 11 percent of their power from wind, solar, biomass and other renewable sources of energy; the remaining 4 percent could be achieved through energy efficiency improvements. The total of 15 percent would have to be met by 2021.
States hat have a higher RESs would not be affected by the bill. But states that have no RES or a lower one would have to comply with the 15 percent RES. Utilities selling less than 4 million MW-hr per year are exempt.
The bill has 24 sponsors, from both parties, many from states in the U.S. Midwest where many wind farms are being located.
(Click to read the entire announcement)
posted by CITIZEN POWER ALLIANCE at 8:04 AM - permanent link
Citizen Speak campaign mailing to your own contact list